My Cultural Inventory, as I see it...



Introduction of my social context and human development...


The family in which I was born, begins with myself, mother, and father.  14 months later came my brother and 9 years later our baby sister.  Until the birth of my sister, there was that old school methodology our family was fond of...Children are best seen not heard.  Being that I was the first born and only 17 years younger than my birth giver...naturally I played the role of dictator to my younger siblings.  Not yet having the cognitive resources to understand I was his equal as well...


My role was just as seen above, fill in the blank.  I was placed in many roles as a child and most of them non traditional.  I believe my parents did the best they knew how at the time.  They were very young parents and did not know, what they did not know.  Having that of only a high school general educational degree, they mirrored the same scaffold of their parents educational limits.  
If I were to ask these questions of my students, I may go about it in more of a visual experience.  I would ask them to recall similar time frames but...
I would engage them with their spirit animal, LOL 🐙
When I were trying to get to know the social and cultural context of my students, I would make sure to share my experience, strength, and hope.  This allows me as their educator to become vulnerable, as much as I would see fit, to my classroom.  I believe strongly that vulnerability is NOT a weakness.  In fact, I will be advocating vulnerability as an asset to my students!


Knowing where I come from seems the most intelligent way to overcome some social and cultural bias in a class setting.  In some of my observation times thus far, I observed a white teacher experiencing obstacles in managing his very diverse classroom.  I may be a woman, Caucasian, and smiley, but I think it imperative to share my family background to give relevance to my students.  
Even though my parents emphasized no sex before marriage, they cared little if holidays were attended by all family members.  Special foods are things my adulthood life and family have created.  Tequila lime turkey is a modern day staple in the Moore home.  My parents did the best they could and transcended what they were given (NOT given).  The point is, as an adult myself now...I have learned expectations, they say, are pre-meditated resentments.  For me, and hopefully my students...we can all learn a better way than what we were shown.  I believe it was Mother Teresa who shared, "If you want to change the world, start in your home."  The path we choose can be different from the cultural and social tones we came from...again.  Progress not perfection.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Great Day to you, My name is Mendassina and this is why I am choosing to become an Educator...

Week 1 Assignment 1B